Monday, October 5, 2015

On my impromptu hiatus

So, where have you been?

I've been waiting here.  The whole time.

What do you have to say for yourself?

In the same vein of truth-telling, trade chat is full of articulate, well-reasoned discussion.

To the actual reasons for my absence:

- the IT department at my work changed...something...and as such it has become a bit more challenging to log in at work.
- work has been a bit busier of late.
- when I'm at home, I typically want to play WoW if I'm on the computer, so I'm not really writing at home.

It really wasn't any one thing, just a confluence of events.

But what have I been doing in game?

Having fun exploring content, although very little in Draenor.

The spouse and I finally hit the Isle of Giants and have had fun getting pets and mounts.  At 100, our hunters are just tearing through things. This is good because we aren't the only ones there so, if we don't move quickly, the place will be empty in no time.  We're both working on the 9,999 bones, although neither of us really care about the mount; other than as the count towards the next mount achievement.  It's a fun place to just hunt, skin, and collect while we zone out together and/or talk about the stresses of work and the day. (addendum: the spouse was having ridiculous luck tonight - in about 10-15 minutes two Direhorn Runts dropped as did somewhere around 4-5 Zandalari raptors. I can't remember if it was the Anklerenders, Footslashers, Kneebiters, or Toenibblers. It doesn't matter, it was amazing.

We had another pet-focused goal recently, this one back in Deepholm.  Neither of our hunters had finished the Deepholm quests, so we hadn't unlocked the dailies (another problem with leveling too fast in old content). So in order to be able to tame Jadefang and get the Tiny Shale Spider, we had to finish the storyline in Deepholm and then wait for the daily to pop-up.

Huh, just thought of another few pet/mount goals we did.  We finished the quest line to get the Lashtail Hatchling in Zul'gurub and the Amani Battle Bear in Zul'Aman.

Beyond that, my main playing has been the drudgery of the Brewfest dailies. I wanted the one pet, some toys I didn't have, and perhaps an heirloom upgrade.  So grinding out the back and forth of delivering kegs.  I kind of like Brewfest overall, but having this chore does take some of the fun out of it.  To be fair, I didn't have to get any of that so it was self-imposed.  Still, I like being able to experience the "holiday" more than I did this time.  Not specifically this holiday.  Just those holidays in general.

Also, I'm perilously close to breaking 100,000 gold on my first character ever.  Some people never see that amount of gold and others make that without trying.  For me, making gold have never been a talent.  I'm not working at it with any great effort right now, mostly follower missions at this point.  But it took a bit of work to get this far and I'm happy to reach this goal.

I hope to get back in the swing of things here as I enjoyed this and it was a great outlet for me.  I also enjoyed reading and commenting on other people's blog, so I hope to be able to get back to that.

2 comments:

  1. Grats on becoming a hundredthousandaire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The thing is, I don't know what to do with the gold. I mean in general. If I can craft a mount or a pet, I typically want to try and feel it is foolish for me to spend it. however that means I probably will never, or almost never, get that item. It is the same for things that drop.

      I have this gold-hording mindset in WoW, that I've never really been able to overcome. I think it was because when I first started playing I always felt strapped for gold and poor. Having to scrimp and save every bit to purchase powers each level really made me wonder how I would ever have enough money to do some things. Back when riding and flying were ridiculously expensive for me.

      So I'm sure I don't really need this much gold on a character. I don't raid or PvP so I don't need to worry about potions or expensive gear or crafting. But I still have this mindset that I might, so I just keep saving and saving.

      I think this carries over into my guild and personal bank management. I really need to clear out some of the equipment I'm holding onto "in case I want to transmog that later" and I can't find it again or it is very expensive on the auction house. Which in the means that I get to play bag space management the game all of the time.

      Wow, that was rambling. I think all of this not-blogging has kind of bottled up. Hmm

      Delete