Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Friendly Mooseseses


I’m pretty sure this sums up my blogging style.

I really do try to focus and Crooked had a great definition of causal in the comments of my last post that I wanted to expand upon. Plus I still need to talk about deleting characters, LFR, and such. But a rambling comment on another site became a post. Oh well.


There have been a few discussions about Friendship Moose and all of that and the one got me to babble today was Navi’s.

#FriendshipMoose and Free Moose runs - An example of a great WoW community? Or an administrative nightmare?

I'm torn about a couple of things as far as this topic goes. Not about people offering to help though. I think that is great and as much as I personally would probably never buy a carry, I can understand the logic of selling them. Especially if carrying people (and the effort it took to get the skill level needed to carry people) causes a lot of armor repairs.

When the community steps up to do something a business or group is not doing, it reflects the good in the community. Great. But, for some people, it then kind of justifies the larger entity (business, government, etc) not doing anything to help solve the problem. They can get in the mindset of, "oh, our users/citizens will step-in and solve this issue so we don’t need to do anything". Yes, they likely will, as there are good people out there, but they shouldn't have to. It reminds me of the debate about support* services for the needy versus government programs.

Now, a moose run is nothing like support services. One is just fun optional stuff and the other can be critical to survival, so I don't mean to compare the two in terms of scale. But still, there is an obvious problem in the community (frustration over the requirements to get the moose mount) and the community is solving the problem, not the business.

But aren't people getting their mount? Yes and perhaps new raiders and good will in the server community will come of this. Those guilds and those people that do the carries will be greatly appreciated and likely respected, so there are a lot of upsides. But I still don't know that I like how we are getting there. That the community is taking a "bad" situation and improving it speaks well of the community. In my opinion, it speaks poorly of the company.

The other reason I have hesitation is, of course, the nature of a carry. I don't see it as pride or anything like that, but just a desire to not be a burden on others for something pretty unimportant. I have no problem asking for help when I need it for something important. But for something like this, it just seems unnecessary for me.  Not an opinion on others getting carries mind you.  Just for me.

I know that I cannot perform at the level needed for heroic raiding and so a carry would be my only option. And so while I’d like the moose on some level, and I’d like to be able to help my spouse get it, the effort and requirement just to get a place to be carried are more than it is likely worth to me.

I’m not saying those requirements are unreasonable. They actually seem reasonable to me but I don’t know if they are. I would assume a guild capable of carrying in heroic knows what is necessary. Whatever the case, my thoughts about the requirements were perfectly captured by Crooked:

“...if presented with requirements to participate in something, a casual is more likely to not participate…changing specs, using a certain voice chat, installing addons, doing pvp, whatever, if they don't want to do something, they would rather not participate at all…”

All of this is something of a moot discussion for me anyways, as I don't think I have a 100 on any server running these (although I haven't check recently) and those 100's I do have are not yet 710. So why am I writing on this? Well, where would you be without my wall-of-text opinions?




* or, since this was originally a comment over at Frostwolves, should that be suppourt? :)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I could pay for a carry but I won't. I REALLY wanted the Core Hound mount from the 10th anniversary event and I got the kind of carry I needed. Matty of https://wowsugar.wordpress.com/ got together some of us Old Lady Raiders for it and I got an emotional carry. And at the first sign things might go south Matty cracked right down on it. It was great!

    I am glad though that so many people are trying to help people who do want a shot at it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the oddest luck on getting the Core Hound mount. Good luck, which is odd for me.

      I got in an LFR and it was smooth...like, wow smooth compared to all of the headache that I had read about. I think my first time through I didn't wipe. I can't remember for sure but that's the key - my run was so not terrible, it wasn't memorable. EXCEPT - I got the pet on the first run. I couldn't believe it.

      The worst part for me was the rush to get to 100. I hated that. Well, not just to get to 100 but then to gear up enough to get in. That really annoyed me about the 10th anniversary. That, combined with flying, were a lot of the impetus to start blogging.

      I ran it a few more times to try to get...something. I can't remember what. Never had that kind of luck again.

      I'm glad you were able to get it and that it was a good run :) I think I remember reading that at the time.

      Delete
  2. I think the word 'carry' contains a considerable emotional charge - it may technically be accurate here, but when I hear it I think of the situation I've heard about regarding the paid mooses, where the 'sponsor' is told "probably best to just die as soon as possible, so as not to distract us"

    I'm just back to the game (haven't played since before WoD), and I'm hoping to be ready for the second round of FriendshipMeeses, but I'm not expecting a carry - from what I can tell the volunteers will be basically raid leaders - no more that 3-4 per raid, everyone else will have to pull their own weight (which is why the ilvl requirement is all the way up at 710).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fair point about the emotional tilt of the language. With the way some mechanics are, having a person immediately die so as not to wipe the raid is a good idea, even if it would hurt the ego a bit.

      For me, whether it would be that kind of a carry or a kind that is - "do your best. we know you wouldn't clear requirements normally, but you should be able to take care of yourself" it would still be something I would have preferred to earn. That I earned that spot. Knowing my skill, I would very likely never qualify for heroic raiding even if I hit the correct item level.

      I hope that you make it into the next round of FriendshipMeeses (I also almost went with that one :) ) and get through it easily. Best of luck. I also hope you are enjoying your return to the game.

      Delete