Wednesday, January 13, 2016

An interesting read

I haven't meant to neglect this blog for this long but things have been busy with the recent holidays and at work, so...well, I guess I did.

I was just starting to work on a post about my own personal gold challenge when I saw that Grumpy was talking about gold this expansion.  I'll still get to mine (unlike my other lost topics) because it is slightly different and specific to my situation, but I saw this article that I thought was worth sharing.

The secondary title of the article sets the stage What happens when the vast universes in massively multiplayer online games go offline?

From the perspective of the characters who inhabit a doomed MMO’s diegesis, it is truly the end of everything, their world, as the poet Philip Larkin put it, “[soon] to be lost in always, not to be here, not to be anywhere.” For players, the apocalypse is, of course, not real, but nevertheless imparts a real experience of what the apocalypse might be like, to see a world they have come to care about lose its ability to be.
I don't agree with the entire article but I found it worth my time and thought I would share.


4 comments:

  1. Some games, depending on the type, can live and long and healthy life even after they are "dead". Not sure if our game can be one of those but I must admit reading your post and then the post I was directed to made me wish it were almost dead, in a way. I am not looking forward to the changes coming next expansion, there are way to many of them, so just thinking that if the game were dead I would never need to worry about sweeping changes made me think, at least is one minor way, I wouldn't mind if the game died and I could keep my hunter as is and not have it get destroyed and dismantled in legion. It would be welcoming to have the game die, as sad as that sounds. So death is not always a bad thing, in terms of gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a depressing thought, Grumpy. And that second article is definitely food for thought.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to agree with Navi, that does sound depressing. Not that I don't get what you are saying, just that it's a sad state of affairs that it can be said.

      I hope for your sake and ours, something enjoyable can still be salvaged for Legion for you.

      Delete
    3. @Navi I hope you enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting both in looking at people outside of games (how do humans grapple with something so huge as the end of the world or even existence) and showing how some MMOs have ended. It does make me curious for how WoW will end. The Matrix Online version sounds terrible and an insult to your players. But I don't know what would work well for WoW.

      Delete