Thursday, August 13, 2015

Call me Ahab



He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate …and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.”
Moby Dick Herman Melville

I hate the shipyard.

I really could just stop there, but why would I? This is not fun. This is not engaging. This is not any real test of skill. It is a boring puzzle game that is still based on gambling.

So why do I do it? Because if I want to get the legendary ring, which I’d like to see the story line for at least once, I have to do this. So I’m doing these idiotic treasure chest missions so that I can get this done and I’m hating every second of it.

Last legendary storyline also had the forced PvP and at the time, I thought I couldn’t hate forced play more than that. I can’t stand that the meta-achievement for Long Strange Trip includes PvP. But this is so much worse.

Do I technically have to do this? No, of course not. But if I want to continue on the storyline that I’ve already invested a fair amount of time in, I do. If I want to see the entire story of the expansion, I do.

I am Ahab and the shipyard is my white whale. And yes, all that entails of who won that battle.

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.”
Moby Dick Herman Melville

4 comments:

  1. The worst is when you fail a high percentage mission and lose both ships.

    Even worse... when you fail a 100% mission and lose 2 epic ships.

    Happened to my girlfriend, she took screen shots of it, sent it in with a ticket and her response from them was "Just because it says 100% doesn't mean it is 100%, there is always a chance to fail."

    She has not been playing much any more... I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had one fail at 88% and lost an epic ship. That's more or less what spawned this post.

      If I had lost a 100% mission and lost 2 epic ships...I don't even know.

      And yup, it definitely taints my feeling for the game. I really wonder what people that enjoy this part of the game get out of it. I don't mean that to sound as snarky as it likely does. I honestly wonder what they like.

      I think what makes it so frustrating is that it is mandatory for the quest line. As long as I don't care about the ring or the story, I don't have to do it. Then I could take it or leave it as a wish. As it is now: no choice.

      Delete
  2. I finished the Legendary quest line in my shipyard, then sent all my ships out on suicide missions. Felt kinda nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot express in mere words how much I love your idea. You get all of my internets for the week. I'm still grinning over this idea. :)

      Delete